Simple Black Beans
One of my all time favorites. So delicious. So simple. So cheap
Servings: 8 people
- Pot to cook beans
- Pot to cook rice
- 1 lbs of black beans soaked for 6-12 hours
- 1 Each Large Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Oil to cook onion
- Salt to taste
- Oregano to taste optional
- 2 Cups white rice
- Water to cover rice by 3/4″ or so
- Oil optional
- Salt optional
- Cook the beans at a hard boil for 10-15 minutes. Bring down to a simmer. Check after 45 minutes, then every 15-30 minutes.
- Cook beans until tender but still holding shape.
- Heat oil in pan. Add diced onion. Stir until translucent.
- Add beans. OK to use cooking liquid. Cook at high temperature until broth gains some viscosity. Turn down. Season.
- Simmer for 10-30 minutes.
- Bring rice to a hard boil. Cover. Turn temperature down to low. Cook for 15 minutes or so. Turn off heat and allow to steam for 10 minutes or so. (Or dig in if you're too hungry to wait!!!)